Siphopteron fuscum (Baba & Tokioka, 1965)
Comment is not registered
The coloration of the type in life is extremely complicated and graceful. The dorsal hump is deep chocolate brown spotted sparsely with white. The lower surface of each parapodium is also deep chocolate brown with a few, bold, irregular markings of white towards the free margin. The horn-like protuberance of the dorsal hump is tinted with vermilion distally. There is a narrow vermilion band along the entire length of the parapodial margin and on the border line between each paradium and foot. The tail is also edged with vermilion. On the cephalic shield, the presence of a transverse vermilion band running parallel to the anterior edge is the first to be noted. Then follow a pair of longitudinal bands of the same colour which extend from the level of the transverse colour band to near the tip of the funnel converging distally and holding a narrow streak of snow white in between. The lateral edges of the shield are stained with deep chocolate brown. The free margin of the funnel is vermilion. The dorso-median crest is vermilion-tinted at the distal and chocolate brown at the proximal. The rest of the body including the sole is translucent and whitish in ground colour. On the underside of the tail there is a snow white streak in the median line which indicates exactly the position of the pedal gland.
- Ayukawa-umikotyo, Baba, K; Tokioka, T. 1965. TWO MORE NEW SPECIES OF GASTROPTERON FROM JAPAN, WITH FURTHER NOTES ON G. FLAVUM T. & B. (GASTROPODA : OPISTHOBRANCHIA). PUBLICATIONS OF THE SETO MARINE BIOLOGICAL LABORATORY.
- アユカワウミコチョウ, 小野 篤司. (1999). ウミウシガイドブック.
- アユカワウミコチョウ, 小野 篤司. (2004). 沖縄のウミウシ.
- アユカワウミコチョウ, 中野 理枝. (2004). 本州のウミウシ.
- アユカワウミコチョウ, 小野 篤司, 加藤 昌一. (2009). ウミウシ.
- Siphopteron fuscum, Terrence Gosliner, Ángel Valdés and David Behrens. (2015). Nudibranch and Sea Slug Identification Indo-Pacific. New World Pubns Inc.